Subject: Re: Browsers on NetBSD sparc
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: Laurens Vets <laurens@daemon.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/02/2005 11:39:54
>>>See above. But since mozilla fails with a bus error here I guess
>>>it's still 64bit-related.
>>>

>>Well, it could still be a sparc64 related issue but I can say for
>>certain that it runs fine on amd64 so I don't think it is a generic
>>64-bit problem (maybe an endian bug though :)
>

> Ok, I meant 64bit alignment constraint violations - SPARCs require
> natural alignment for all memory accesses, so the popular game of
> passing an int* for a size_t* is pretty likely to blow up with a bus
> error on sparc64, but these won't bite you ;)
> On the other hand, lots of gtk-applications like to cast ints to
> pointers and the other way around - this would likely bite all 64bit
> architectures, at least when running 64bit binaries.
>
> I don't think there are many endianness bugs left in gecko - it runs
> fine on MacOS X for ages, same goes for Solaris. The PowerPC-specific
> code seems to blow up on macppc ( /weird/ rendering errors but no more
> crashes than on MacOS X ), on sparc64 I don't see any of these rendering
> problems.
>
> And about libfontconfig and friends - putting something like this into
> your mk.conf may help:
> USE_BUILTIN.fontconfig?=yes
> PREFER_fontconfig?=native
>
> this should keep pkgsrc from building its own libfontconfig and make it
> use the one that comes with X. I guess the crashes come from compiling
> with the headers from one libfontconfig but linking against the other
> for whatever reason. Of course you'd have to recompile everything using
> libfontconfig so its usefulness may be limited. Something similar for
> Xft2 and freetype2 would probably be a good idea too. since these
> libraries depend on each other.

I added the above 2 variables to mk.conf. I'm now trying to rebuild
mozilla-gtk2.  However, upon installing Xft2, I get the following error now:

<...>
checking for freetype-config... freetype-config
checking for fontconfig >= 2.2... Requested 'fontconfig >= 2.2' but
version of F
ontconfig is 1.0.1
configure: error: Library requirements (fontconfig >= 2.2) not met;
consider adj
usting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in
a nonst
andard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/fonts/Xft2
===>
===> There was an error during the ``configure'' phase.
===> Please investigate the following for more information:
===>      * config.log
===>      * /usr/pkgsrc/fonts/Xft2/work/.work.log
===>
*** Error code 1
<...>

So does this mean that I still need to use the pkgsrc fontconfig?

Laurens