Subject: re: Browsers on NetBSD sparc
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/31/2005 05:13:11

   Ok, I meant 64bit alignment constraint violations - SPARCs require
   natural alignment for all memory accesses, so the popular game of
   passing an int* for a size_t* is pretty likely to blow up with a bus
   error on sparc64, but these won't bite you ;)

worse - you'll get the wrong data even if the int* was aligned for
size_t* access, due to the BE pointer pointing to the final byte of
the data not the first....

   I don't think there are many endianness bugs left in gecko - it runs
   fine on MacOS X for ages, same goes for Solaris. The PowerPC-specific
   code seems to blow up on macppc ( /weird/ rendering errors but no more
   crashes than on MacOS X ), on sparc64 I don't see any of these rendering
   problems.

what about on _64 bit_ big endian, where int* & size_t*/long*/etc
are not interchangeable as they are on 32 bit systems.  that is
the cause of many weird bugs in my experience.

.mrg.