Subject: sysinst & disklabel weirdness
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Antonio Bravo <tonio@abravo.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/19/2005 16:36:06
I have put a SS10 in service for hhtpd.
I took a Quantum Fireball SE8.4S (~8 gb) I had around and which was
probably dd zero-ized, as I often do with old drives I take out of
service and left on the side.

I connect the drive inside the box, probe-scsi it ok and boot
NetBSD-2.0.2.Disklabel shows no label (so indeed I had probably zero-ed
in the past) but can't go further, and spits instead a
"no space left" and stop the system back to the <ok> prom

??!

So I double checked the jumpers/physical condition and all seems fine.
Reboot the NetBSD cdrom, and still the same crash.
I got a try to an OpenBSD 3.7 which didn't crash but couldn't use the disk.
I booted a Linux installer, went into "s" option of the linux fdisk to
write a Sun table to the disk, created some ext2 filesystems, mounted
them just fine and did some read/writes without any trouble.
Back to NetBSD with that Sun table, disklabel was able this time to
create slices, newfs them and run the rest of the installation.
I guess Solaris format could had been able to do the job too with its
'format' utility, but I haven't tried it (lazy) nor SunOS and NeXT.

I wonder if the issue was due to the combination of that Quantum drive
and NetBSD disklabel, or just some limitation of disklabel itself.
I guess there were some threads in the past, around 1.6, about disklabel
  dumbness.

Conclusion: keep a sparc/linux handy before installing NetBSD: it can
save the day ??

--
"Men alt dette er ikke begyndelsen.", Knut
HAMSUN,"Mysterier"- 1892