Subject: Adding additional kernels to the release?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/19/2005 13:26:48
Hi

Having just installed on a low memory i386 laptop (using the INSTALL_TINY
kernel), I was wondering why we don't have something similar for sparc? A
friend of mine had a bit of grief installing on a 16M SS1+ (see the posts
of a few weeks back - GENERIC was too big) and I ended up building a small
sun4c-tweaked kernel for him (which worked fine).

Would it not be a Good Thing to have two additional low memory tuned
kernels as part of the standard release (one for sun4c, one for sun4m)?
They would allow people without access to another machine to install on low
memory machines. I have some kernel config files and diffs I can share if
anyone is interested.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mj.turner.org.za/