Subject: RE: optimising for sparc v8
To: 'Andrew Reynolds' <randrewreynolds@yahoo.ca>
From: Gary Parker <G.J.Parker@lboro.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/18/2005 12:37:05

I'm running 2.0.2 on a pair of 150MHz Hypersparcs and I see quite an
improvement in overall system performance when I './build.sh distribution'
with the following in /etc/mk.conf:

CPUFLAGS=-mcpu=hypersparc
COPTS+=-pipe
BUILDFLAGS+=-j3

FYI, it takes me approx. 24hrs to do a buildworld on my system with 256MB of
RAM so don't be too put off by the thought :)

I find it's worthwhile compiling the kernel with the CPUFLAGS set as well as
you get better scheduling as well as improved floating point instructions
but the build always fails on my machine with pipe or j3 set.

Gary