Subject: Re: SS20 + Dual Ross HyperSparc probl
To: Stilgar <stilgar@stilgar.org>
From: Laurens Vets <laurens@daemon.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/16/2005 12:00:47
Stilgar wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2005 08:47:21 +0200
> Laurens Vets <laurens@daemon.be> wrote:
>

>>Michael wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,

>>>Ouch. A level 15 interrupt can mean different things, almost all are
>>>rather unpleasant and point at hardware problems. So...
>>>- does the machine run properly under Solaris?
>>>- are the memory modules seated properly?
>>>- are the CPU modules seated properly?
>>>- does anything get too hot?
>>>- does it work with only one CPU?
>>>- did the SS20 come with these CPUs? If not - is the firmware new
>>>enough?
>>
>>Seems my cg14 is broken :(  Removed it from the system and NetBSD is
>>running rock solid for a couple of days now.  Thanks!
>
> I can easily crash my SS20/cg14 running X, and get
> either a
> "Level 15 interrupt"
> either a
> "Watchdog Reset"
> either a kernel crash with log.
> I may have enough time to send_pr that with the full log before tomorrow.
> Tested configurations :
> * SS20 + 2x HM125-1024 + cg14 running netbsd 2.0RC5 UP or SMP (both crash)
> * SS20 + 2x SM71 + cg14 running netbsd 2.0.2 UP or SMP (both crash)
> * another SS20 (not mine) + 2x HM150-512 + cg6 running netbsd 2.0RC5 SMP
> All 3 configurations are able to compile stuff for days without any error, but I can
> crash them in about 2 or 3 seconds under X.
> Way to reproduce it : you need evilwm (a very minimalistic wm), I haven't
> tested that under other wms.
> 1/ .xinitrc with "evilwm" inside
> 2/ launch X
> 3/ use CTRL+ALT+ENTER to launch an xterm
> 4/ use ALT-2 (not the one in the numeric keypad) to go to workspace 2
> 5/ use CTRL+ALT+ENTER to launch an xterm
> 6/ swap repeatedly between workspace 1 and workspace 2 with ALT-1 and ALT-2
> Now, if both xterms were overlapping AND the mouse was over both of them,
> I get a crash in a few seconds. If the mouse is only over one of them, no crash.
>
> Maybe that already helps. I'll try to copy/paste the kernel crash log manually
> before tomorrow.

Ok, this is _exactly_ the same problem I have.  UP or MP makes no
difference.  Sometimes I get a "Level 15 Interrupt", sometimes "Watchdog
Reset"...  When I run under X, is crashes when doing for instance an
untar of pkgsrc.tar.gz, when not using X, everything seems to run
smooth.  So I thought that my cg14 is/was broken...

So, actually, this might be NetBSD bug?  How can I help in solving it?

Laurens