Subject: Re: "couldn't ping cpus" error when starting X
To: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
From: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/15/2005 21:51:44
On 00 Jan 00 00:00:00,
Tillman Hodgson wrote:

> On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 07:15:57AM +1000, matthew green wrote:
> >
> >    Unfortunately, no. Not unless mismatched CPU modules will work with
> >    NetBSD (I'v enever been clear about that, though the idea seems dubious
> >    ;-)).
> >
> > if they are the same cpu family they tend to work.  i ran a ss10 with
> > 2x 100mhz hypersparc (256kb L2) and 1x 150mhz hypersparc (512kb L2)
> > for quite some time.  it was the hottest pizza box i've ever seen..
>
> Oh, interesting! Was the reliability affected (aside from heat factors,
> of course)? How does the scheduler cope with mismatched CPUs?

I never had *any* problems with my SS20.  It had an SM71 and SM81
in it (75 & 85 MHz SuperSparcs).  Well, no problems until I didn't
notice that the space between the case and the power supply, where
the air comes in, was completely blocked with dust and it cooked
the SM81.  I did run it a lot with LOCK_DEBUG and DIAGNOSTIC turned
on, as it was back when you had to change an ifdef in locore.c to
spin up the second CPU, IIRC.

Jon