Subject: Re: continuing sh problems
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/14/2005 10:55:57
Regarding the -mv8 and -mtune options, those have been supplanted by the
-mcpu= option according the gcc documentation:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2.3/gcc/SPARC-Options.html#SPARC

If I understand this manual then these options control three aspects of
gcc's code generation, the cpu instruction set, the cpu's register set,
and the instruction scheduling. The first two are obvious. I assume that
third optimizes the order of generated instructions for performance. It
would look like all one would need is:

     -mcpu=hypersparc or -mcpu=supersparc

I'm convinced of this especially since the gcc that my machine runs is
v3.3.3 and the v3.3.5 manual deprecates both the -mv8 and the -mtune
options.

-- Chris