Subject: Re: stray interrupt
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/12/2005 22:47:05
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 02:03:12PM -0700, admin@agnus.datazap.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My server is a Sun sparc server 5 running NetBSD 1.6.2_stable. I seem to
> be getting alot of stray interrupts.
>
> For example:
> May  8 22:12:27 hal /netbsd: stray interrupt ipl 0x7 pc=0xf00075a4
> npc=0xf00075a8 psr=44000c4<S,PS>
> May  9 01:58:37 hal /netbsd: stray interrupt ipl 0x7 pc=0xf00075ac
> npc=0xf00075b0 psr=44000c4<S,PS>
> May  9 03:27:34 hal /netbsd: stray interrupt ipl 0x7 pc=0xf00075b0
> npc=0xf00075b4 psr=44000c4<S,PS>
> May  9 10:28:40 hal /netbsd: stray interrupt ipl 0x7 pc=0xf00075b0
> npc=0xf00075b4 psr=44000c4<S,PS>
>
> It looks like they are because of the Sun Happy Meal Ethernet card that I
> put in the server. I was wondering if this is something that could cause a
> kernel panic or will it just fill up my logs?

That isn't a lot, several a second is 'lots'!

They are almost certainly caused by the device driver failing to flush
the write that clears the IRQ status from the processors 'store buffer'
before exiting the interrupt routine.  Thus another ISR happens immediately
but finds no work.  Almost certainly just filling up the log!

Easiest fix is to do a read-back of teh written location....

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk