Subject: Re: Continuing problems with SS20 and 512Mb of Ram
To: None <hubertf@gmx.de>
From: Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/09/2005 11:08:22
On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 15:59 +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> In article <1115504031.950.7.camel@dagobah.vindaloo.com> you wrote:
> > stable NetBSD 2.x.x box running on this hardware. It has an uptime of
> > about 2 days before I must reboot it because it constantly throws
> > sbrk ... error 12 at me. I've attempted to get it stable enough to build
>
> error 12 is ENOMEM, "Cannot allocate memory" (see
> /usr/include/sys/errno.h). It may help to know what exactly is running out
> of memory here, but maybe start monitoring swap & ram usage, same for
> in-kernel maps/tables.

Someone else with similar problem recommended increasing the value of
NKMEMPAGES and building a new kernel. His thinking was that the sparc
platform may not have the ability to manage the 512M of memory that I
have in my machine with the GENERIC kernel. This coincides with my
experience as top showed nearly 256MB Free while I was getting these
errors. After a little trouble with the cpuflags package, I've built a
new kernel optimized for my hypersparc with the appropriate values for
NKMEMPAGES and the machine seems to be okay. I'm attempting to rebuild
the system from the 2.0.2 sources and will start a parallel cross
compile on some i386 hardware that I have lying around later today.
After this I will post a summary so that people searching the list in
the future can benefit from my mistakes.

--Chris