Subject: Re: SparcStation 20 SMP trouble
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/09/2005 15:35:02
On 09.05.05, 13:40:33, Malte Dehling wrote:

> I dont have another SS10/20 right now, to test if its really the modules, but
> it looks indeed as if something were broken. I will do some stress-testing with
> the `slightly broken' module tomorrow, just to see what happens.
> Im still wondering why I get memory errors? Are they caused by a bad CPU?

Unless they're explicitly from the SS20's ECC memory controller
("eccmemctl0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0x0: version 0x0/0x1") they're
likely to be caused by a defective Cache or Cache controller.
(iirc the MXCC also handles MBus communications).

If you're lucky the extended POST (diag-switch?=true) catches them,
but it might not.

I've also just come acress a paragraph on "The Rough Guide to MBus Modules", on
  http://mbus.sunhelp.org/modules/#super

--- quote ---
  WARNING:  it has recently come to light that some SM41, SM51 and
  maybe SM71 modules appear to be specific to the Fujitsu Teamserver,
  and do not work in other systems. Unfortunately there is no known
  way to distinguish these Fujitsu-custom modules from "regular"
  ones, as both have the same "501-" part-number stickers. If you
  have any information on how to distinguish these modules, please
  email spooferman@excite.com .
--- end quote ---

So if it turns out your modules are from a "Fujitsu Teamserver"
you might be out of luck.

> ---
> According to http://mbus.sunhelp.org/modules/index.htm, this module has
> MXCC 3.3.

Ah yes, module-info. I somehow thought the PROM would print MXCC
revision on normal bootup ...

--
Bernd Sieker

My other computer runs NetBSD