Subject: Re: Continuing problems with SS20 and 512Mb of Ram
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/08/2005 10:43:04
On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 10:56 +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Sat, 7 May 2005, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
>
> > I'm beginning to think that I've played with this enough. I cannot get a
> > stable NetBSD 2.x.x box running on this hardware. It has an uptime of
> > about 2 days before I must reboot it because it constantly throws
> > sbrk ... error 12 at me. I've attempted to get it stable enough to build
> > a new kernel with NKMEMPAGES set appropriately but the kernel's all fail
> > to boot.
>
>  	Could you try the kernel at:
>  	    http://abs.spodding.com/sparc/netbsd.bz2
>  	Its built from 2_STABLE sources and the config is at
>  	    http://abs.spodding.com/sparc/config
>
>  	It has NKMEMPAGES_MAX increeased to 5120, which I needed to run
>  	on a NFS server with 256MB of memory. If you still have problems
>  	another useful data point would be to go down to 256MB for a
>  	while to see if the problem goes away

Thanks, that kernel booted looking at the config it looks like a lot of
the other sun options are commented out of the config. Was I correct in
assuming that the GENERIC kernel config should have generated something
that booted on my machine? If you looked at my config the only thing
that I added was the NKMEMPAGES option but the kernel that I got was
considerably larger:

      2.0-RELEASE Sparc kernel -- 3.6Mb
      2.0.2 Sparc kernel       -- 3.6Mb
      2.0-STABLE kernel        -- 2.1Mb