Subject: Sparc advice.
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/05/2005 18:32:10
Hi,

I have an SS20 with a 180 MHz Ross Hypersparc CPU. I would like to use
this machine as a webserver which I will remotely locate in a friends
closet. The machine has two 1G internal drives and a 4G Seagate Hawk in
an external case. I have a Sun Fast Wide SCSI Interface and Happy Meal
Ethernet card in the box. It's got 512MB of RAM and 512MB of swap. I'd
like to offer my compliments to the NetBSD team. I'm very positively
impressed by NetBSD on this hardware.

I have a couple of questions. Firstly I'm  having problems with the long
term stability of the machine. I'm getting:

   sbrk grow <number>: error 12

messages after the machine has run for a while. These problems start
when I compile something from source in /usr/pkgsrc or lately when I run
emacs to edit a web page. I've seen some posts on this problem before
and I'm just wondering if this is something that I will have to upgrade
to -current to fix.

Second: make search key=foo in /usr/pkgsrc doesn't work because the box
doesn't have the pkgsrc index built. How long can I expect a make index
to run and is there anyway to performance tune/optimize this process?

Third: I've been thinking about getting another 180 MHz CPU but I'm
concerned about heat. When I've gone into the case of this box after
it's been running I've noticed that the CPU heatsink is warm to the
touch, not hot, just warm. Would running two of these CPU's lower the
reliablity of this machine? Put a different way, is the Case up to
cooling that combination?

-- Chris