Subject: Re: Cannot load netbsd 2.0 installation kernel on sparc SS1+ with
To: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
From: Jonathan Groll <jonathanjg@wo.co.za>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/05/2005 18:56:34
Christian Smith wrote:

>On Wed, 4 May 2005, Greywolf wrote:
>

>>[Thus spake Jonathan Groll ("JG: ") 11:10pm...]
>>
>>JG: I can't seem to find a reference that will tell me what a "/Cannot load
>>JG: netbsd: error=27"/ means. Is it lack of RAM as I suspect? If so, if I
>>JG: max out this machine to 40MB (is that the max?) do you think that will
>>JG: be sufficient RAM?
>>
>><sys/errno.h> says:
>>
>>#define	EFBIG	27	/* File too large */
>>
>>JG: Cannot load netbsd: error=27
>>
>>JG: Thanks in advance for any insights you may have,
>>JG: Jonathan Groll.
>>
>>Sounds like it's trying to load a kernel which is larger than
>>4MB, though I've forgotten exactly why this particular number
>>poses a problem...
>>

>I think it's because the RAM has to be contiguous, and with 4MB banks, the
>prom can't load the kernel into a single bank. Isn't there a
>netbsd-INSTALL kernel with options trimmed out?
>
>OP, what is your memory configuration? 4x4MB banks?

Yes, 16 X 1MB SIMMs in total. I have some 30 pin SIMMs and will increase
the memory now that I know what the problem was, or ask a friend to
build me a trimmed kernel. Thanks for the explanation.

Does anyone know what is the maximum amount of RAM the SS1+ can take?
The Sun Hardware Reference FAQ says:

SPARCstation 1+ (4/65)
 Memory:         64M (40M?) physical with synchronous parity,
			512M/process virtual; 64K write-through cache,
			direct-mapped, virtually indexed, virtually
			tagged, 16-byte lines; 50ns cycle

Is the max then 40M or 64M?

Thanks,
Jonathan.