Subject: the undocumented FFS2 root trouble
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Antonio Bravo <tonio@freeshell.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/25/2005 07:22:46
Hello,

it could be nice to mention on the sparc page
(http://netbsd.org/Ports/sparc), that an FFS2 root isn't bootable.
People could spare much time when installing...

-----
longer story:

I installed 2.0.2 on a sparc10 which was happily running on different
disks from time to time: SunOS-4.1.3, Next-3.3, Solaris 9, Linux, OpenBSD.
I was going to turn the box, with 2 cpus, into a web server, and decided
to take advantage of the smp capability that NetBSD has now.
(the other smp OSes: linux, I don't like it, and solaris, it's heavy).

Couldn't reboot after completed NetBSD installation.
I mounted root from an installer md to check that the kernel "netbsd"
was actually there.It was....I ended disconnecting all external scsi
devices and having only one disk in the box to avoid numbering/scsi
troubles and triple checked the OBP settings.
Still no way to fire up the kernel...
I had formatted / as FFS2, the choice of doing it _is_ in the installer.
I finally figured out that FFS2 was possibly the reason.
A lazy search through the mailing list archive found a short thread:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2005/04/03/0000.html
about the issue.

So, why not state somewhere on the site that FFS2 isn't for the root,
and why not wipe out the choice of FFS2 formatting for / in the installer ??

--
"Men alt dette er ikke begyndelsen.", Knut
HAMSUN,"Mysterier"- 1892