Subject: Re: LEDs, LCDs and so on (was Re: More SPARCbook insanity )
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@entropy.homeip.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/18/2005 15:21:07
Greywolf wrote:
> [Thus spake Michael ("M: ") 7:50am...]
>
> M:
> M:                          `.'     becomes `_*'
> M:                          `-'     becomes `_***'
> M:                          ` '     becomes `__'
> M:                          `\n'    becomes `____'
>
> Problem:
>
> It looks as though '.' will collide with 'n', '-' will collide with 'U',
> space collides with 'M'.

I think you mean "'-' will collide with 'B'"...

It's also kind of silly to try to make up stuff like this, when
International Morse Code already has equivalents for many punctuation
characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code

Space of course isn't a "character" in code, and translates to silence
for the length of 7 dits.

Newline is a bit tricky.  The best equivalent is the prosign AA
(didadidah) which is normally used only when handling formal message
traffic.

http://www.qsl.net/ae0q/prosign.htm

 > Not well thought out.

Seconded!  I like the idea though.