Subject: Re: 3.99.x/sparc => Watchdog Reset
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/16/2005 21:01:50
Greywolf said:

>[Thus spake Rick Kelly ("RK: ") Yesterday...]
>
>RK: ftp://ftp.rmkhome.com/pub/rmk/netbsd-3.99/netbsd
>
>This kernel works for me; how/where was it compiled?
>(native, or cross-compiled on another arch?  Which arch?)

The box is an AMD Duron 1.6ghz running -current 3.99.3 from Friday April 1st.
No tuning in mk.conf, custom config file, but plain vanilla compile.

The cross-compile tools were built per the info on www.netbsd.org.

>It only seems to be affecting sparc builds, and, interestingly enough,
>it only seems to be affecting the kernel.  Userland seems, for all
>intents and porpoises, to work just fine.
>
>I'm almost sure it's a cross-compile issue even to the point that the
>cross-compiled toolchain is bad!

>I'm currently running on the 2.0_STABLE GENERIC kernel from
>ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0/sparc/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz.

>Works like a charm but I'm sorely missing the ability to build my own
>kernel.  I'm not sure what is wrong, here, or where exactly the cross-
>compiled build is going awry.

It does seem to be a "bug" in gcc 3.3.3.

>I'll try one more time to build with NO special tuning flags for
>the AMD and see if I get cross-tools that work (although, I didn't SEE
>any special tuning flags during the building of the original cross-tools).

You probably need to build GCC on your AMD box with no extra COPTS.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		<http://www.rmkhome.com/>