Subject: Re: 3.99.x/sparc => Watchdog Reset
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/16/2005 17:01:57
[Thus spake Rick Kelly ("RK: ") Yesterday...]

RK: ftp://ftp.rmkhome.com/pub/rmk/netbsd-3.99/netbsd

This kernel works for me; how/where was it compiled?
(native, or cross-compiled on another arch?  Which arch?)

Someone else compiled a GENERIC 2.0_STABLE kernel for me on their
AMD and (surprise, surprise!) it blew up in the same spectacular
fashion as the one I cross-compiled did.

I don't think it's a driver issue at this point -- I think there
is something going very wrong with the way the tools are put together
on cross-compile.

It only seems to be affecting sparc builds, and, interestingly enough,
it only seems to be affecting the kernel.  Userland seems, for all
intents and porpoises, to work just fine.

I'm almost sure it's a cross-compile issue even to the point that the
cross-compiled toolchain is bad!

I'm currently running on the 2.0_STABLE GENERIC kernel from
ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0/sparc/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz.

Works like a charm but I'm sorely missing the ability to build my own
kernel.  I'm not sure what is wrong, here, or where exactly the cross-
compiled build is going awry.

I'll try one more time to build with NO special tuning flags for
the AMD and see if I get cross-tools that work (although, I didn't SEE
any special tuning flags during the building of the original cross-tools).

				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft Windows NT -- "What a totally excellent discovery...NOT!"