Subject: Re: local-mac-address setting
To: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/16/2005 09:18:14
On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:44:30AM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> Remotely, of course. I hadn't had my first cup of coffee for the day,
> you see ;-) The machine is no longer reachable and arp requests for it
> go unanswered. I suspect that there is simply /no/ mac address
> configured, making it dead to the network.

Please verify this. What version are you using? In 3.0_BETA and -current
at least it should (a) just work, and (b) fall back to the global address
if the card does not have a local one.

Does your switch maybe hardwire the MAC address and refuse to overwrite it?

>  I noticed that ifconfig doesn't allow that (unlike,
> for example, the ifconfig on FreeBSD/sparc64) so I couldn't do anything
> like that from the rc scripts of the OS itself. What's the proper way to
> do this?

There is none - it has been proposed several times, but all drivers need to
be changed to support it (which is easy for all sun drivers).

Martin