Subject: SPARCbook / XFree86
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/12/2005 20:19:37
Hello,

ok, here's the beast :)
What you'll need:
- a SPARCbook 3GX or 3TX
- today's kernel ( see below )
- a -current userland, 3.99.something
- my XFree86 package
- some config files

What you'll get:
- XFree86 with all the goodies, like XRENDER and friends
- hardware cursor support
- hardware acceleration ( so far only screen-to-screen copies, solid fills and off-screen buffers, but the effect is quite noticable )
- only 8bit so far, and no support for an external monitor.
I'll add at least line drawing and monochrome->display colour expansion, and of course support for higher colour depth. Not necessarily in this order :)

Where to get it:
http://macallan.homeunix.org:6704/stuff/BSD/sparc/
SPARCbook3GX_04_12.bz2 is the latest kernel, XFree needs it because:
- it has support for wscons, including wsmouse. Built-in stick only so far, I'll see what I can do about external mouse support.
- the graphics driver doesn't pretend to be a cg3
- some bugfixes in pnozz, older kernels won't allow to mmap() all registers

XFree86_SBus.tar.gz - the whole /usr/X11R6
XF86Config.SPARCbook - put this into /etc/X11/XF86Config. Matches a SPARCbook 3GX ( read: 800x600 display )
xmodmap.SPARCbook - some keyboard remappings to make the cursor keys work in XFree. Load with <xmodmap xmodmap.SPARCbook>
snapshots/20050402/binary/sets/ - contains a -current userland built about a week ago, compiled for SPARC V8 CPUs. Use this if you don't want to build your own.

good luck
Michael