Subject: Javastation (Krups) boot problems
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Nate <sma11k3ys@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/11/2005 21:21:03
Hi,

    I've been working for a while trying to get my
Javastation to netboot netbsd as per the instructions
here:
http://netbsd.binarycompass.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.javastation.html.

Background.

I've tried netbooting netbsd 1.6, and 2.0 from a
Darwin PPC machine.  The Javastation receives the dhcp
address, and starts to load the kernel then halts.  I
have included a transposition of the output below.

I have gone through the guide a few times, I've tried
it using my Darwin machine as the host, and I also
tried it step by step with a NetBSD x86 machine as the
host, both times I ended up with the same problem.

I'm posting the output from the Javastation, and the
dhcpd.conf file I'm using for the netboot.  I can
provide more information if needed, I'm just not sure
what I need to post.  I've googled for this and come
up with nothing, if someone could point me in the
right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

~nt

Javastation output:

>> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, revision 1.14
>> (builds@build, Thu Dec 2 01:42:46 UTC 2004)
Booting netbsd
Can't open device ''
Cannot load netbsd: error=6

device[] ("halt" to halt):

dhcpd.conf file:
# global dhcpd parameters
deny unknown-clients;                   #disallow
unknown connections
ddns-update-style none;                 #disallow
dynamic DNS updates

allow bootp;                            #allow bootp
requests, thus the dhcp
                                        #server will
act as a bootp server

# which network interface the server will listen on
subnet 192.168.205.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 { #the
zeros indicate which range
}                                          #of
addresses are allowed to connect

 #set of parameters common to all clients
 group {
  option broadcast-address 192.168.205.255;
  option domain-name "natetobik.mine.nu";
  option domain-name-servers
151.201.0.39,151.201.0.38;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

  #set of parameters specific to one particular host
  host hightide {
   hardware ethernet 08:00:20:95:1D:FC;
   fixed-address 192.168.205.100;
   option host-name "hightide";           #name of the
host (if the fixed address
                                        #doesn't
resolve to a simple name)
   filename "/private/tftpboot/bootjs.net";
  #name of the bootloader or kernel to
                                        #download via
tftp
   next-server 192.168.205.3;     #which machine to
tftp filename from
   option root-path "/export/client/root"; #the path
on the NFS server.
                                           #typically
the client assumes the
                                           #nfsserver
= tftpserver
   #always-reply-rfc1048 true;          #this is
needed if your client isn't
                                        #getting the
options you set and
                                        #the log says
"(non-rfc1048)"
                                        #next68k
machines require this to be
                                        #set false
  }

  #you may paste another "host" entry here for
additional clients on this network

 }