Subject: Re: More SPARCbook insanity
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/10/2005 20:35:59
On 07.04.05, 21:14:22, Michael wrote:

> I also made a new test kernel, with boye-flipping on PCMCIA reversed, please try it and tell me if anything PCMCIAish works with it.
> Get it here: http://macallan.homeunix.org:6704/stuff/BSD/sparc/SPARCbook3GX_04_07.bz2

I tested it and got alittle further than with the previous one:

See http://nuxi.homeunix.org/NetBSD/sparc/dmesg-PCMCIA.log

I inserted the card twice in the upper and once in the lower slot.

Note that it is indeed not an "unknown Lucent chipset", but rather
a well-known PRISM 2.5.

This is a problem I also sometimes get when using the card in the
z50 (hpcmips/mipsel).  In that case removing and reinserting the
card (no more than 5 times usually) cures the problem. My impression
was that on the z50 it was caused by insufficient power supply to
the slots, high power drain when initialising the chipset, and
subsequent voltage drop and interruption of initialisation. But
since it also happens on sparc, it may be something different there.

The MAC address read from the card is correct.

> have fun

I had, thanks.

I find the prospect to get working PCMCIA on the sparcbook soon
quite exciting. :)

Btw, are there any PCMCIA (not Cardbus) USB cards? It would be a
killer to have USB on the SPARCbook.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: We Come In Peace.