Subject: Re: cgd on NetBSD/sparc32: dislabel problems
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/08/2005 11:02:51
On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 06:35:07PM +0200, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

> yes, it's a pilot error on your part.  it happened to me as well, see
> the second part of kern/25068:
>
>  http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=25068
>
> the disklabels on the drive and the cgd volume overlap.  you either need
> to reserve some space at the beginning of the drive or just don't edit
> disklabel and use the default one.  i did the latter.

Thanks, that makes sense.

What's a reasonable offset to use for the e partition on the underlying
sd device (where I'll create the cgd virtual device on top of)? The PR
demonstrates the problem but not a working label.

What I'm trying to accomplish is this:

sd6 (18GB drive)
 e  - first 1GB, used for cgd
 f+ - reserved for future use either as cgd partitions or as regular
      filesystems

If I understand you correctly, I could also use cgd0c (whole disk), and
that should correspond exactly to sd6e. Am I understanding that
correctly?

-T

--
Page 594: You will find that the Unix file system has a compelling
beauty: everything makes sense.