Subject: Re: cgd on NetBSD/sparc32: dislabel problems
To: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/08/2005 18:35:07
--v9g2r9e2kvGs7M7R

hi,

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 10:19:18AM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> I'm attempting to set up a small (1G) encrypted filesystem using cgd
> on a Sun SparcStation 10 with a DEC JBOD SCSI tower (makes a great NFS
> server with a Sun Swift card). I'm following both the cgd chapter of
> the NetBSD Guide and the netbsdcgd.html file from nycbug.org.
>=20
> The issue I'm running into is that I can't write a disklabel to the cgd0
> device after creating the virtual device:
>=20
> #        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
>  c:   2099820         0     4.2BSD      0     0     0  # (Cyl.      0 -
> 1025*)
>  e:   2099820         0     4.2BSD      0     0     0  # (Cyl.      0 -
> 1025*)
> partition> W
> Label disk [n]? y
> write: Read-only file system
> Label not written
>=20
> Disklabel on a Sun box is weird in general (the '-r' thing and the
> requirements for offset to be an even multiple of s/c, for example) and
> I don't understand the differences very well. Has anyone else run into
> this and could give me a pointer?

yes, it's a pilot error on your part.  it happened to me as well, see
the second part of kern/25068:

 http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=3D25068

the disklabels on the drive and the cgd volume overlap.  you either need
to reserve some space at the beginning of the drive or just don't edit
disklabel and use the default one.  i did the latter.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --

--v9g2r9e2kvGs7M7R