Subject: NetBSD 2.0 and bind 9.3.x
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/25/2005 11:33:04
Hi,

Martin Scheler wrote:

> In article <m1DCQKm-0005L4C@greenie.muc.de>,
> 	gert@greenie.muc.de (Gert Doering) writes:
> > 2.0.1 on Sparc 64 still has the problem.  While I was running
> > clamav-milter with native threads, the system crashed about once a day.
> > Since I have recompiled clamav-milter with pkgsrc "pth", the machine is
> > rock solid, not a single crash.

> Please try again with NetBSD 2.0.2_BETA built from today's (2005-03-20)
> sources. Make sure that you got a least revision 1.50.2.1.2.1 of
> "src/sys/kern/kern_sa.c".

I've tried this today:

 - Ultra 5, 384 Mb RAM
 - run Mozilla, open lots of windows, bring it up to about 90 Mb RAM
   (Mozilla using system threads)
 - run some memory-allocation-and-dirty programs that will force the
   system to swap out mozilla
 - move mouse back into mozilla window

result: mozilla-bin dumps core, but machine keeps running.

So it seems NetBSD/Sparc64 is at the same level as other platforms now - if
threaded applications are swapped out, they die, but the system itself
keeps running.

I'll stick to pkgsrc/pth for the time being.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de