Subject: Re: SPARCbook and wscons - testers wanted
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/08/2005 17:23:50
On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:56:09 -0500, Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> behold the (probably) first sparc32 kernels with usable wscons support :)
> I did the following things:
> - add wscons and acceleration support to pnozz ( characters are still drawn in software, couldn't get the chip to do proper 1bit -> 8bit conversion yet. Scrolling and rectangle filling is done by the blitter )
> - added support for virtual consoles to pnozz
> - added wskbd support to kbd_zs.c, works with the SPARCbook, /should/ work with others as well...
> - changed the wscons_sun keymap to switch virtual consoles with Alt-Fn on the SPARCbook - no STOP key and Pause sends a different scancode.
>
> So there are two test kernels ( see http://macallan.homeunix.org:6704/stuff/BSD/sparc/ )::
> GENERIC_wscons_cg6.bz2 - supports sun4m and sun4c machines with cgsix as console - untested.
> SPARCbook3GX.bz2 - SPARCbook 3GX.
>
> The cgsix driver supports acceleration and wscons but no virtual consoles (yet).
> So, please test these kernels and tell me about...
> - how it works at all

Works great here, I've got 8 virtual consoles at 100x37 - finally, a
full screen text console on this thing :-)

Only thing it's missing is ANSI color... I just get shades of grey.
But I can live with that, it's still a huge improvement over what I
had to deal with on the sparcbook before.

Keep up the good work!

--
Sean