Subject: Re: OpenBOOT 2.x vs. OpenBOOT 3.x vs. OpenFirmware
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/07/2005 14:58:16
>                                                                 ... but if
> I remember correctly there's at least one SPARCbook model with a 640x480
> panel on a p9100 and probably one with 1024x768. Anyway, in my naivety I

I think that the one with the 640x480 panel is a P9000. but I'm not 100%
sure.

> - how can I access device properties from the OBP 2.x prompt?

The V2 equivalent is `.attributes`.  See also the command refernce manual at:

  http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/pdf/806-2906-10.pdf

> - for cgsix ( more hard-coded geometry, I've seen more than one cgsix
> running in something else than 1152x900 so we should probably get rid of
> this ) - which forth words/properties return display geometry information
> and exist on both OBP2 and 3?

The cgsix code calls:

  fb_setsize_obp()

with default values.  This in turn calls routines from:

  arch/sparc/sparc/promlib.c

so, I think calling that would be OK - the current code works with (at least)
1280x1024 on both sparc and sparc64.

> - what exactly is the difference between prom_getprop() and OF_getprop()?
> The latter works on sparc64 and macppc, the former apparently on sparc and
> sparc64 - is there something that works on all three?

I think that the prom_* calls are abstracted to handle V0, V2 and V3 PROM's
(and OpenFirmware?) on sparcs.  Presumably the OF_* calls are OpenFirmware
only.  So, possibly not, unless the prom_* calls are added to macppc and
just call the OF_* equivalent.

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/