Subject: Probs installing 2.0 using miniroot.fs on ss20
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: John Redmond <jredmond@bmts.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/06/2005 12:53:15
I am trying to take a bunch (3) 4m series machines from Sol 9 to netbsd
2.0. I purchased a "multi" architecture set of binaries and am trying to
install using the miniroot.fs method. (No bandwidth to download iso and
no floppies on any of the machines).

I unpacked and dd'd the miniroot.fs onto an empty partion (slice 0) on
my ss20. When I drop the the OK prompt (2.25r) and try:
boot disk:a netbsd -s as per the install docs, I get the following.

>> sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.14
>> (builds@build, Thu Dec  2 01:42:46 UTC 2004)
Booting netbsd
Cannot load netbsd: error=20

device[/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@3,0:a]
("halt" to halt):

I'm wondering if it has something to do with it being the first slice?
Also I relabelled the disk under Sol9 Format command after dd'ing. Couldn't seem to
get it to do anything otherwise. Also do I have to move the package sets over
to the same partition (or another one as the miniroot.fs? Box is
networked to a linux workstation at the moment.

Thanks.

John Redmond
Dundalk, Ontario