Subject: Re: SPARCbook and wscons
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/05/2005 12:04:15
On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:55:33 -0500, Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > > two questions:
> > > 1. Does anyone else here use NetBSD 2.x on a SPARCbook 3GX? I just resurrected mine and dug up some hardware info.
> >
> > I have a SPARCbook 3TX, which is exactly the same as the GX, except
> > that it has the 170MHz TURBOsparc CPU with 256k L2 Cache and can
> > handle up to 256MB RAM. It was a 3GX once, but was upgraded by
> > Tadpole. It features the "S3TX" sticker on the front, but the type
> > plate at the bottom still says "3GX".
> Cool, mine has the stock 110MHz MicroSPARC II without L2 cache and 64MB. Compile times are quite a bit longer than with my other boxes. Any chance to get such an upgrade without going bankrupt? The L2 cache alone would give a nice performance boost I bet.

I've got the 110mhz no-cache with 32MB. I don't compile on it unless
someone is either pointing a gun at me, or I have absolutely no choice
;-)

> > > 2. What about wscons? I recently added wscons support to the cgsix driver on sparc64, it should work on sparc32 too but I can't
> > > really test it because the only box with SBus slots I have is an Ultra1. Volunteers?
> >
> > I have a SPARCstation 20 (with VSIMM/cgfourteen) and a cgsix sbus
> > board (SunGX) lying around that I could test it with.
> That's exact;y what I was hoping for :)

I'm pretty sure I have an SBus cgsix sitting around somewhere, but the
problem is, I have no spare monitor that can handle the fixed-sync it
puts out, even if I did have an adapter. (no sun monitor, obviously)

> > Both machines are running 2.0.1, so if you send some patches I
> > might test wscons.
> Check out -current if you didn't already do so, build a kernel with wsdisplay* at cgsix?, wskbd* at kbd? and wsmouse* at ms?, and add a line for ttyE0 to /etc/ttys ( or you won't be able to login ) - that's it, in theory. On sparc64 it works pretty well, although there are some problems with the zs driver but sparc32 has its own so I guess it may work - I'm mainly interested in...

I'm building a -current/sparc release right now, if the build
completes (I haven't had very good luck with current builds lately)
I'll upgrade the machine to -current, then install a custom kernel
with the wscons stuff in it.

> - does it compile?
> - does wsdisplay and all that attach properly?
> - does it produce proper output?
> I'm not aware of any 32bit vs. 64bit problems in the code but you never know, so far it's been tested only on sparc64. As a side-effect this would allow you to run XFree86 instead of Xsun - no more 'XRENDER extension missing' and all that nonsense.

I'll let you know re: the compile/attach/output stuff once I have
-current on the machine with a wscons-enabled kernel.

.... and I just switched desktops, and the release build died
compiling the GENERIC kernel.. Fun. So much for that idea.

I think the compile-death may be related to the wscons stuff, though:
#      link  GENERIC/netbsd
/nb/sparc/current/tools/bin/sparc--netbsdelf-ld -n -T
/disks/wd1a/nb/sparc/current/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf/kern.ldscript
-Ttext F0004000 -e start -X -S -o netbsd ${SYSTEM_OBJ} ${EXTRA_OBJ}
vers.o
cgsix.o(.text+0x8e4): In function `cg6attach':
: undefined reference to `wsdisplay_cnattach'
cgsix.o(.text+0x99c): In function `cg6attach':
: undefined reference to `wsemuldisplaydevprint'
cgsix.o(.text+0x9a8): In function `cg6attach':
: undefined reference to `wsemuldisplaydevprint'

--
Sean