Subject: Re: SPARCbook and wscons
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/05/2005 11:03:16
On 04.03.05, 19:51:38, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> two questions:
> 1. Does anyone else here use NetBSD 2.x on a SPARCbook 3GX? I just resurrected mine and dug up some hardware info.

I have a SPARCbook 3TX, which is exactly the same as the GX, except
that it has the 170MHz TURBOsparc CPU with 256k L2 Cache and can
handle up to 256MB RAM. It was a 3GX once, but was upgraded by
Tadpole. It features the "S3TX" sticker on the front, but the type
plate at the bottom still says "3GX".

> 2. What about wscons? I recently added wscons support to the cgsix driver on sparc64, it should work on sparc32 too but I can't really test it because the only box with SBus slots I have is an Ultra1. Volunteers?

I have a SPARCstation 20 (with VSIMM/cgfourteen) and a cgsix sbus
board (SunGX) lying around that I could test it with.

Both machines are running 2.0.1, so if you send some patches I
might test wscons.

> The reason for question 2 is - I'm playing with the SPARCbook's graphics controller, the documentation from Tadpole is quite sketchy but the holes are filled by XFree86 3.3 so I guess it wouldn't be hard to add acceleration to pnozz*. The obvious way to go would be rasops and wsdisplay but I don't see any wscons support in sparc32 ( well, wscons attachments for keyboard and mouse work on sparc64, more or less, so all that's missing is framebuffer support )

Would that also mean 24bpp support on pnozz? Or does that already
work and I just missed it?

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: We Come In Peace.