Subject: SparcStation with no FPU and NetBSD-2.0
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/02/2005 08:42:53
Hallo,

i got some nice piece of hardware yesterday, a Synoptics LattisNet
Concentrator 3030 with Network Control Engine 3040, which is some OPUStation
Personal Mainframe 5000, a SparcStation1 clone. Booting NetBSD works fine, but
some commands give Floating Point Exceptions due to missing FPU (newfs is one
of those, which really is a problem :)

So some questions here:

Is it possible to run NetBSD 2.0 without FPU on this box?
As i have seen, FPU emulation is not yet done (and maybe never will), is this
true?
Did anyone try to build a complete 2.0 with -mno-fpu to gcc? This would be the
next try.
Or should i just forget about the hope to get the machine running as-is and
hunt for a Weitek 3170 here?

Btw... If someone wants a 2.0 release built and optimized for SuperSparc (as
in SparcStation 20 MP with 2 SM71 here), just tell me where to put it. Some
packages are also built (cyrus, sendmail, openldap, pine and so), where the
only problem occured in gmp, where gcc seems to break some optimizations,
clamav at least tells about wrong signatures. I fixed this by building gmp
without optimizations.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX