Subject: Build broken when using STRIPFLAG=-s
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/02/2005 02:32:28
Hi,

it seems the sparc build is broken when using STRIPFLAG=-s.

I've built a full release of 2.0_STABLE as of yesterday without STRIPFLAG
and it worked fine.

Then I changed destdir and releasedir and added STRIPFLAG=-s to the
configuration. (To see how much the difference would be, I have a 1 GB HDD
in that box). But it broke on:

install ===> sys/arch/sparc/stand/bootxx
#   install  /usr/home/krille/sparc-build/dest-strip/usr/mdec/bootxx
STRIP=/usr/home/krille/sparc-build/tools/bin/sparc--netbsdelf-strip
/usr/home/krille/sparc-build/tools/bin/nbinstall -U -M
/usr/home/krille/sparc-build/dest-strip/METALOG -D
/usr/home/krille/sparc-build/dest-strip -h sha1 -N /usr/src/etc -c -p -r -o
root -g wheel -m 444  -s  bootxx
/usr/home/krille/sparc-build/dest-strip/usr/mdec/bootxx
strip: /usr/home/krille/sparc-build/dest-strip/usr/mdec/inst.16695a: File
format not recognized
nbinstall: stripping
/usr/home/krille/sparc-build/dest-strip/usr/mdec/inst.16695a: No such file
or directory

It seems there's nothing to strip in this file and strip shouldn't be run on
it because it can't handle this.

It seems the culprit is /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/stand/bootxx/Makefile. There
is an empty definition of STRIPFLAG, but below the inclusion of
Makefile.buildboot. AFAIK it doesn't take effect this way and the inclusion
has to moved below the variable definitions.

If so please fix it, any hints otherwise?
I haven't tried yet, I'm going to bed now.

Please CC me on reply.

Bye, Chris