Subject: Re: NetBSD2.0/sparc not ready for prime time?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/12/2005 23:10:11
>> Where "cylinder" [in Sun disklabels] is defined according to the
>> sect/track and track/cyl values in the label, which may or may not
>> match any part of the real disk.
> Ah - I'd always assumed they had to match the reported geometry.

No, as far as I know they never have, provided (a) you are willing to
accept a performance penalty for old drives and (b) under some
circumstances, under Sun OSes, you are willing to ignore boot-time
warnings about how the label claims the disk has more blocks than it
does.

At least for SCSI disks.  Back in the days of ip and xd and suchlike,
it may well have made a real difference for all I know.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign