Subject: Re: X a bit funny on new 2.0 install.
To: None <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/05/2005 12:00:45
In article <4201C0B7.88E8C1D0@bom.gov.au> you write:
>3. When i log into the xdm prompt/ banner the typing
>on the keyboard makes beeping noises?
>
>How can I turn this off please?

Apply the patch at
<http://cvsweb.no.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/sun/
 kbd.c.diff?r1=1.40&r2=1.41>
(only the third hunk is useful) then rebuild your kernel.

I hope this fix will be in NetBSD 2.1.

>4. Repeat key doesn't work. ie if you hold down a key
>it doesn't repeat. So I have to tap the key repeatedly.
>
>Is this an stty thing? What should i set and where?

For some reason, setting the delay to any value other than 660 works, so run
"xset r rate 661 25".  Alternatively, you can add a -ar1 option in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers.  Mine says:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/XsunMono  -nolisten tcp -ar1 500

No-one seems to know why this is happening, but I've submitted a PR:
<http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=28908>

--
Ben Harris                                                   <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/acorn26/>