Subject: Re: NetBSD2.0/sparc not ready for prime time?
To: Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/04/2005 18:51:25
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 10:15:30AM -0700, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
> IMHO, it's foolish to try to use a new release in a production
> environment until it has been out about three months.  Even then, it
> might not be ready.

Well.  This is how I understand the difference between 2.0 and -current
- "-current" will have all the ugly things in it, while 2.0 is known
to work (the short version).

[..]
> So, the best advise, for any o/s release, is, watch the list and wait,
> or put it on a non-production machine and be one of the testers.  Don't
> put it on a production machine yet.

That's what I did with the pre-2.0 releases: test it thoroughly on
my test sparc64 system.  The "production" system wasn't upgrade until
some time after the release - and I had no crashes on the test system
(I had no crashes on the production system either, for the longest time
- but then I upgraded something in userland, and the system started
crashing on me).

OTOH, this nice "it's all my own fault" discussion doesn't really answer
the open question "is it a good thing to backport the -current thread
fixes (library and kernel) to 2.0, or will it make everything break
even worse"...

Waiting for advice, I've recompiled libpthread with the patch (went in
fairly smooth) and -DPTHREAD_MLOCK_KLUDGE, and it doesn't crash
the machine immediately :-) - now I'll need to wait and see what will
happen over the next few days...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de