Subject: Re: net install of a sparcstation5 -generic help
To: None <mvergall@pandora.be>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/31/2005 17:02:05
"Michael Vergallen" <mvergall@pandora.be> wrote:
> You don't need a dumb terminal for that ... a ordinary PC with C-Kermit
> working on it will do...
> You do need a null modem cable...however they are easy enough to make
> yourself or go to a
> electronics and purchase one. The only thing you need to be aware of  is
> that you have to have
> ckermit running and connected to the sparc-5 before you turn the sparc-5 on
> so you see all the
> digiagnostic output on the screen.

 In previous messages, i think Matthis had indicated he didn't have any
other machines handy that were capable of making a traditional serial
connection.  (They just had USB.)  Several people suggested USB<->serial
adapters, but i think the Matthis is trying to avoid spending any
significant amount of money on this.

 Hence my suggestion of an old terminal -- he might be able to find one
 for free or next to nothing.

 -johan