Subject: Re: help with diskless boot
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/22/2005 14:43:45
On Jan 22, 2005, at 9:16 AM, der Mouse wrote:
>> .... so I thought the problem must be at the rarpd stage.
>
>> And then, run rarpd, which only says "got a packet" many times when I
>> "boot net" with the sparcstation.
>> Checking things with tcpdump, I get:
>> 17:11:49.752023 client > Broadcast, ethertype Reverse ARP (0x8035),
>> length 68: rarp who-is client tell client
> [at least I assume that linebreak was spurious -dM]
>> until I turn off the sparcstation.
>
> Well, I don't know what's wrong, since I don't know OS X at all.  But I
> can say that I'm fairly sure you're right: the problem is in RARP.
>
> It does occur to me that you may need to add the MAC address not to
> /etc/ethers but rather to some netinfo database.  Does the OS X manpage
> for rarpd say where it gets its MAC->IP mapping from?

OS X stores "hosts", "ethers", "bootptab", "bootparams", and
"exports" info in NetInfo.

[14:39] nightowl:/tmp % nidump gibberish /
usage: nidump [-r] [-T timeout] {directory | format} [-t] domain
known formats:
         aliases
         bootptab
         bootparams
         ethers
         exports
         fstab
         group
         hosts
         networks
         passwd
         printcap
         protocols
         resolv.conf
         rpc
         services

Matthis will have to go into NetInfo Manager and add all the
Right Stuff for "rarpd" to work properly on his Mac.

	- Greg