Subject: help with diskless boot
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthis Rouch <matthis@blueyonder.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/21/2005 17:23:07
--Apple-Mail-1--828030874

Dear all,

I am having problems trying to boot my sparcstation 5 in diskless mode,
from a machine running mac os x 10.3. I have followed all the
instructions at
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.sun.html
which go over explanations in a lot of detail, but I still can't get it
to work. For the moment, I would be happy if the log for the tftp
server said anything about being contacted by the sparcstation, but it
doesn't go that far .... so I thought the problem must be at the rarpd
stage.

What I have done:

-added the client to the NetInfo database:

#nicl . -create /machines/client ip_address 192.168.0.10

-set up the ethers and host files:

/etc/ethers:
8:0:20:7a:ba:8d client

/etc/hosts:
192.168.0.10    client

And then, run rarpd, which only says "got a packet" many times when I
"boot net" with the sparcstation.
Checking things with tcpdump, I get:

17:11:49.752023 client > Broadcast, ethertype Reverse ARP (0x8035),
length 68: rarp who-is client tell client

until I turn off the sparcstation. Is there anything I missed out which
would prevent rarpd from attributing an IP to the sparcstation? Also,
how does the host have to be set up network wise? I connected the host
and the sparc directly with an ethernet cable, and gave the arbitraty
address of 192.168.0.1 to the host. Is there any other necessary
setting?

Thank you in advance for any help!

  -Matthis
--Apple-Mail-1--828030874

Dear all,

I am having problems trying to boot my sparcstation 5 in diskless
mode, from a machine running mac os x 10.3. I have followed all the
instructions at
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.sun.html
which go over explanations in a lot of detail, but I still can't get
it to work. For the moment, I would be happy if the log for the tftp
server said anything about being contacted by the sparcstation, but it
doesn't go that far .... so I thought the problem must be at the rarpd
stage.

What I have done:

-added the client to the NetInfo database:

/machines/client ip_address 192.168.0.10</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily></bold>