Subject: Re: install netbsd on sparcstation 5 with limited resources
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jeff=5FW?= <beaker@freeshell.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/05/2005 07:38:37
"MATTHIS ROUCH" <120580@soas.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi, I have acquired a sun sparcstation5 and I would like to install
> netbsd on it, but the problem is that I have no keyboard/mouse nor
> screen for it. I guess I could try the network install, but I would
> need to know the MAC address (which I can't see because I have no
> screen, and have no serial connection to see remotely, (I think)).
> There are no cdrom nor floppy in my sparcstation either.
>
> So, since I can write to the scsi disk, I thought the thing I could
> do was to write a small working netbsd system on it, compiled for
> sparc. The disk is 2G and I have 64 Mb of RAM. I only want to use
> the sparcstation for a small http/ftp/pop server so I guess I don't
> need a huge system. Would it be possible to do such a thing, and
> does any such working disk images ready to be cloned exist?

I think you're going to need either a monitor/keyboard OR another
system to connect to the serial port in order to configure the OpenBoot
PROM to do net-boots. You are also going to need a separate system
on your LAN with an appropriate kernel. It going to be a _lot_ easier
to just buy a 2nd SS5 off eBay to use for parts. You might also check
at some of your local thrift shops that accept computer junk; I've
seen pallets of old SUn monitors in the back rooms of these places
(destined for the crusher I suspect).