Subject: instalboot problem
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Nate Bohlmann <njb@elfwerks.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/04/2005 10:44:45
I think I must be missing something but I can't for the life of me figure
out what it is so any help would be appreciated.

System
 ------
A SparcStation5 running the 2.0 release.  It has 2 4.5GB SCSI drives that I
am trying to form into a RAID1 set using RAIDFrame.  This RAID set will
contain all disk storage for the system.  This system is merely being used
as a house router (and RAIDFrame testbed) so there's no important data on
it.

My Issue
 --------
I have been reading through The NetBSD Guide and am attempting to go through
the process in Chapter 15 of setting up a RAID1 root partition (I'm setting
up /usr as well but that's just an add-on).  I have made it all the way
through setting up the RAID set with just one disk in it and am now at the
point where I have to install a boot sector on the raw partition of the RAID
disk (15.3.7).  I cannot for the life of me get installboot to work.  The
command line I'm using (per the Guide) is:

installboot -v /dev/rrsd1a /usr/mdec/bootxx

This fails complaining that it needs to know about a second stage boot.  So,
I modify the command line to be:

installboot -v /dev/rrsd1a /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot

And installboot complains that I need a "-B bno" flag.

How does sysinst make my initial disk bootable?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated (and perhaps the Guide needs to be updated?).

Thanks in advance..

Nate