Subject: Re: sysinst problems
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/06/2004 01:14:18
[Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>]
> Pardon?  Until now there was no real reason given for the need of
> overlapping partitions.

Well, until now there was no discussion either way on it, so this means
little.

> In fact, the only explanation given by the people demanding a knob to
> override the disklabel check was that they had used overlapping
> partitions in the past and would like to be able to create disklabels
> with overlapping partitions from within sysinst in the future.

In my case, more precisely, I would like to preserve an existing
disklabel that happens to have overlapping partitions.

If it really is possible to use "upgrade" to install onto a blank disk
that is labeled and partitioned but not otherwise set up - and in
particular without any version of NetBSD installed on it - that should
be made clearer.  Certainly the word "upgrade" implies the presence of
an earlier version which is to be upgraded.

So I used "install" and it took my existing label as a starting point
for the partitioning step, which was good, but wouldn't let me use it
unchanged, which was bad.

["Nathan J. Williams" <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>, quoting
Gerald Richter <glassman1@neonshadow.net>]

>> As I have come to understand sysinsts behavior inexplicably changed
>> and people complained
> der Mouse complained at the beginning of this thread, but I have no
> reason to think, either from his message or more generally, that this
> was a change; it's just the first time he happened to notice it.

Right.  I use sysinst approximately never.  I was attempting to
duplicate someone else's setup, and the setup as described to me was
set up with sysinst; in an attempt to duplicate it as closely as
practical, I tried to use sysinst - and ran into the
overlapping-partitions issue.

It's entirely possible, for all I know, that sysinst has had such a
check forever and I simply never ran into it before.  It's also
entirely possible, for all I know, that the check was introduced jsut
before the version I tried to use.  Or anywhere in between.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign