Subject: Re: sysinst problems
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/03/2004 19:12:24
[ On Friday, December 3, 2004 at 14:48:58 (-0800), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: sysinst problems
>
> Please don't belittle mine by claiming yours makes more sense.

Well, you were complaining that the basic system installation tool
didn't allow you to do something that almost everyone else believes to
be both dangerous and unnecessary and which has as a result caused
protective measures to be put in place to prevent that "dangerous" mode
of use.

I'm just pointing out that you already ahve a plethora of tools at your
disposal which will help you to achieve the very same goals, but without
bumping up against any of the protective measures the system puts in
place that are preventing you from doing things the old way you were
accustomed to doing them; and perhaps even with greater accuracy and
integrity.

> but sometimes I work a bit differently, and somewhat "outside the
> box",

Well you're definitely not thinking outside the box on this one!  ;-)

> especially when the "box" is built after the situation arises.

Well if the box is already built then that begs the question of how a
tool designed and used primarily for the building of new boxes could
possibly be preventing you from maintaining your old existing boxes with
their existing disklabels.

I think someone did ask the question of whether or not you were having
problems with the "upgrade" option nor not, and I agree that the upgrade
option should not stop working just because an existing partition table
isn't as carefully constructed as the new software would have made it.
My limited experience with the "use existing" and "upgrade" options in
sysinst to date suggest that it won't fail (if you don't need to
repartition the disk then you don't need to run the new restrictive
version of disklabel from sysinst), though at the moment my own build of
systinst isn't able to even find and mount filesystems for an upgrade
for some reason....  (It seems a string I thought was NUL terminated is
not, or something like that.)

--
						Greg A. Woods