Subject: Re: panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/02/2004 10:13:43
> This happened to a SS2 with 64MB ram, running 2.0 for ~36 hours.
>
> I probably should bump up MAXUSERS (currently 48) or something - though there
> realy is not much happening on this machine, it just routes some traffic, no
> big daemons nor interactive users. NFS is client only, the machine is
> diskless.
>
> Hints?
>
> Martin
>
> panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map
> Stopped in pid 4255.1 (mtree) at        netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4:        or              %
You have something that eats (malloced) memory from the kmem_map.
vmstat -m tells how much eaten and by what, but when it already has
paniced it's a little bit too late :-)  Try to "call dump_kmemstats"
from ddb to see where the memory has disappeared. Note that KMEMSTATS
must be configured in your kernel.

If the kmem usage is legitime, you can increase vm.kmempages to a
higher level or compile the kernel with NKMEMPAGES set to a
higher value.

-- Ragge