Subject: Re: sysinst problems
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/30/2004 13:25:29
[Thus spake der Mouse ("dM: ") 6:19am...]

dM: - The partitioning tool seems semi-broken, in that it refuses to allow
dM:   partitions to overlap (except for overlap with c).  I had a disk
dM:   pre-partitioned roughly thus:
dM:
dM:     aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa     dddddddddddbbbbbbbbbb
dM:                                   eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
dM:
dM:   and perhaps I just told it the wrong thing, but it whined about d and
dM:   e overlapping - I knew they overlapped and I wanted it that way.  I'm
dM:   quite sure I set both d and e to no-mount.

Yes, please don't try to be smart about this.

I have frequently had need for overlapping partitions so that, depending
upon the project at hand, I could slice 'n' dice as needed.

[Maybe I really AM a dinosaur for remembering

	aaabbbbbbggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
	   dddddeeeeeeeeffffffffffff
 :-)
]

I also find it rather obnoxious that fdisk partitions cannot overlap.
While "user fiendly", I also find it "knowledgeable-user hostile".
Do we not at least have a force flag that will let me tell fdisk that
"Yes, I really do want to 'hose' my disk."?

dM: - Despite having d and e both set to no-mount and no-newfs, and d set
dM:   to size=0 offset=0 (this last because of the previous issue),
dM:   something tried to do some command - fsck, I think - on the d
dM:   partition (and of course it failed).  For some reason this didn't
dM:   repeat when I retried; I don't understand why not.
dM:
dM: - When doing unmounted-FS installation, the installer prompts for a
dM:   base directory and a path.  It would help if it gave some indication
dM:   what it means by these; I couldn't figure out what the base directory
dM:   was supposed to be until I saw the pathnames it was trying to use, in
dM:   error messages.
dM:
dM: - Related to the previous one, it would help if I could set the base
dM:   directory to a zero-length string.  I had to set the base directory
dM:   to . to get it to DTRT.
dM:
dM: - When an unmounted-FS install fails, it would be nice if it gave me
dM:   the option of re-entering the device and path data, instead of just
dM:   Abort, Retry, Ignore.  It would also help if some of the setup on the
dM:   path I had to take to retry remembered what I'd selected before (in
dM:   particular, I think the partitioning screen should remember my
dM:   no-mount settings).
dM:
dM: /~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
dM: \ / Ribbon Campaign
dM:  X  Against HTML	       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
dM: / \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B
dM:

				--*greywolf;
--
My other car was on Alderaan.