Subject: re: sparc kernel (2.0_RCn) doesn't like -mcpu=v8?
To: Joachim Thiemann <jthiem@tsp.ece.mcgill.ca>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/24/2004 11:05:29
   > As far as I know, it is an old (and documented) flaw of gcc: it needs
   > at
   > least -O in order to get inline assembly correctly (the binding of
   > local
   > variables to register is not handled properly by the dummy register
   > allocator used when compiling without optimisations). And the kernel
   > uses inline assembly to talk to the hardware.

   I guess this actually enough of a problem to warrant a pr - and I just
   did a quick search and saw toolchain/18270.  From what I can see, COPTS
   is reset even if "+=" is used.  I'll see if I can just append my
   observations to the PR.  At the very least, it's a documentation bug in
   mk.conf(5)...

this is exactly why CPUFLAGS was invented...