Subject: Re: XF86Config for Sparcstation 20?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/19/2004 18:17:59
>> I'd say you're nuts to try to use XFree86 on a SS20, except that in
>> your case presumably you just didn't know any better.
> I'm curious - does the X server shipped with NetBSD/sparc support
> XKEYBOARD extension?  And what about RENDER extension?

I don't know.  I've never even tried to use it.

I know the x.org-based code I use has a lot if XKB stuff in it.  I've
never tried to use it, though, so I don't know whether it works.

> If it doesn't, aren't any GTK2 apps quite slow at text rendering?

Quite possibly - though, again, I don't know.  However, if the
framebuffer can't do it in hardware or firmware, it makes little odds
whether the software rendering is done in a server software RENDER
implementation or elsewhere.

> Also, how do I exit the Xserver, if it is not run from xinit?

You normally don't.  Aside from deliberate by-hand runs, there are
really only three ways to start the server: xinit, xdm, and ttys, and
of those, xinit is the only one that makes much sense to "exit".  The
server normally runs until it resets upon losing its last client, or
(if using xinit) until xinit sees the client script exit and kills the
server.

> I recall that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace didn't work (I don't have any Sparc
> to try now).

No, it probably won't; that is another x86ism.  Most of the reasons for
wanting to forcibly kill off the server on peecees are unlikely or
invalid on SPARCs anyway (such as wanting the text console back - SS20
framebuffers don't have "text mode" and "graphics mode" the way peecee
framebuffers do).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign