Subject: Re: XF86Config for Sparcstation 20?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/18/2004 11:04:36
der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:

> The SS20 - like all SBus machines - does not have to contend with the
> passel of wildly incompatible video hardware that drove the creation of
> XFree86 and necessitates XF86Config.  There are only a handful of video
> cards you _can_ have in a 20 - bw2, cg3, cg6, cg14, leo, maybe the
> cg8?, that's probably about it, and a cg3 is pretty unlikely.  (And all
> of those support plain memory-mapped framebuffer access.)

If they present a plain memory-mapped framebuffer via wscons, then you
*could* use XFree86 with the wsfb driver. Xsun is almost certainly
easier, but XFree86 has a few advantages over it, like support for
some newer X extensions (XTEST and RENDER can be kind of handy), and
the use of a shadow buffer for the framebuffer that can speed up some
operations.

(hmm, I should go try wsfb on the cg3 in my 3/80...)

        - Nathan