Subject: Can't unmount NFS mount - "permission denied"?!?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@mipl.JPL.NASA.GOV>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/17/2004 07:07:16
I tried my first-ever NFS mount, mounting a directory from my
Ultra 60 running Solaris 9 onto my SPARCserver 20 running NetBSD 1.6.2.

It mounted OK, but accesses to the mount point hang:

isolar# mount
/dev/sd2a on / type ffs (local)
/dev/sd2d on /var type ffs (local)
/dev/sd2g on /usr type ffs (local)
/dev/sd2f on /home type ffs (local)
/dev/cd0a on /cdrom type cd9660 (read-only, local)
mfs:129 on /tmp type mfs (synchronous, local)
procfs on /proc type procfs (read-only, local)
solaris9box:/export/home/earle/Maildir/.SPAM/cur on /mnt type nfs
(read-only)

[7:00] isolar:~ % /bin/ls /mnt
[... hangs ...]

Even more worrisome, I can't unmount it:

isolar# umount /mnt
umount: /mnt: Permission denied
isolar# umount -f /mnt
umount: /mnt: Permission denied
isolar#

The mounted directory is only readable by me on the other end:

isolar# ls -l / | grep mnt
drwx------   2 earle  10      293376 Nov 17 06:43 mnt

But still, I should be able to "ls" it, and certainly no matter
what, "root" should be able to unmount it.  I have to reboot to
clear the mount.

WTF?

	- Greg