Subject: keyboard problems with X11
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: John D. Baker <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/11/2004 12:28:58
I've been experiencing some strange problems with the keyboard on my
SPARCstation 5 when X is active.

At the xdm login widget, the keyboard beeps for every keypress, as if
it's experiencing buffer overflow.  Login is not affected, however.

Once logged in, the keyboard no longer beeps, but it will not autorepeat,
although 'xset q' reports that autorepeat is enabled.

At the text/raster console, the above problems do not appear.  The
keyboard is silent and it autorepeats normally.

The problems also do not appear when running Solaris 9, with or
without X11 active.

I first encountered these problems when I updated to NetBSD/sparc v1.6Q
and it has persisted through every update through the 2.0G snapshot of
15 July 2004 (the most recent Xserver installed).  I'm now running
2.99.10 (except for src/xsrc which I did not rebuild).

Has anyone else experienced either of these problems?  Any suggestions
about what may be causing them and how to correct it (if it isn't a
software problem)?

--
John D. Baker, KN5UKS                    NetBSD     Darwin/MacOS X
jdbaker(at)mylinuxisp(dot)com                 OpenBSD            FreeBSD