Subject: Re: How to silence a SparcStation?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/28/2004 11:20:20
On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 08:17:48PM +0200, Chris Amthor wrote:

> This is IMHO a really bad idea.

For what it's worth... MHO is it's a bad idea too

> Doing so means that any partical of
> dust will stick to the oil. The fan will never get rid of them. Never
> try to "oil" sintered bearings like the ones used in computer fans.

If you _really_ feel the need to lubricate the bearings then use a
dry lubricant like graphite.  I have never had much success with doing
this though - the fans work well for a while but jam up relatively
quickly.  I slowly came to the conclusion if the bearings are acting up
then the fan is probably at end of life and should be replaced.

--
Brett Lymn